Wednesday, October 04, 2006

La as in peppery


Being in Changsha (Hunan) is like being in my own region, Bicol. One very distinctive similarity is the fact that people love pepper in here.

I am surrounded by spicy dishes everytime I have my meals. At the cafeteria, everyone loves to nibble these dishes. Even if you hate the food, you are not spared as the cook always makes sure to sprinkle a lot of "la jiao" (hot pepper in Chinese).

When I was back home, I wasn't a big fan of Bicol express though for some obvious reasons, I would enjoy a little bit in front of my friends from other cities. It was just to show that I am proud of being a Bicolana who can manage to handle that awful taste. Haha just pretending.

But in here, I eventually learned to appreciate it. Food isn't yummy anymore if it's not peppery.

When I go home, I will show them that I love Bicol Express the way true blooded Bicolanos love it. No more pretentions this time.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love eating bicol express but i need to have a cold pitcher of water beside me before i start eating it. it's funny how i love to eat spicy dishes despite my low tolerance for 'spiciness'.

a few months ago, my husband cooked bicol express (he is the chef in the house). he made it less spicy than normal so i could enjoy it. :D

btw, you may certainly use the examples of superstitions in my previous post. it's great to know it could be put to good use.

take care,
rach

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Venusian said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story Rach. You're lucky to have a husband who can cook and magaling pa sa Bicol Express, wow!

So you always have cold water beside you before eating spicy foods? Ako naman napapadami ang kain ng rice pag may maanghang or I would have chocolate afterwards (hehe).. :-D

Thanks again Rach for allowing me to use your examples. I will mention your name too when I share them.

It's really nice to have this open interaction with you and friends here. I feel welcome.

 
At 1:47 AM , Blogger Christianne said...

My mom's from Donsol, Sorsogon but I never spent too much time there and sad to say hindi ko kaya ang spicy food :( But isn't it funny how food customs in two different places are so similar?

Are the dishes in Hunan and the surrounding region the normal chinese food (just spicier) or do they have delicacies of their own?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home